The Beauty of Knowledge

The Beauty of Knowledge

Sunday, November 20, 2011

A DAY OF FIRSTS

OK! I have a LOT to say, so listen up. I had a long and amazingly eventful day. I will start with 12 o clock this morning (as in yesterday). Around 10 at night I had made the trek across campus to the REC center to work out. When I got there, they were closed. Needless to say I was really upset and a little embarrassed cause I had walked inside when a lady told me to get out cause they were doing a high school lock in there that night. So! I called up my friend Adrian because his dorm is right next to there so I wouldnt feel like I had just wasted my time. We watched Kung Pow: Enter the Fist and an anime called Ichijou in his living room. (He lives in a suite) When he was walking me back to my dorm, he told me he liked me in japanese. (He is in my japanese class) I was really surprised because just a couple weeks ago he told me he had a crush on our japanese T.A. Anyways, so I went back home... slept for 8 hours... zzzzzzzzz..... then !WOKE UP! and went to a REALLY beautiful Buddhist Temple with Meghan. The chanting/singing was really beautiful and we were surprisingly not the only non Chinese people there. A woman helper in pretty monk- like robes (but she was not a monk) helped us understand what was going on and nudged me every time it was time to bow. They were going through a medicine sutra today and were honoring the dead and thinking about peoples health and well being. It changes for special occassions such as today. The architecture was REALLY beautiful traditional Chinese architecture set in the rich/ hilly part outside of Austin that reminds me of Colorado.I interviewed a lady who helped me better understand the teachings of that particular sect., but I am going to do a lot more background research before I write my ethnology. Then, as we were leaving we noticed a hiking trail that people were going up on the side of the road. Meghan had never been hiking so we did that and found the most beautiful view at the top of the surrounding hills and river. We sat on the very edge, which was scary, but exillarating at the same time. There was a guy who was sitting in a tree that was growing off the side of the cliff face. We nearly peed ourselves every time he moved. He reminded me of Rafiki from The Lion King. Then! We tresspassed! I thought of how proud dad would be of me that I got the cahones to tresspass by climbing through a gap in a fence. It was on the cliff and we wanted to see what was on the other side, so we did. I was afraid someone was gonna yell GET OFF MY PROPERTY! and shoot us at any second. BUT! they didnt. So, then we were on some weird sort of high and decided to go the the Texas Capitol (Because I've never been there). Meghan was there to debate in the House and Senate before so she showed me around and it was AMAZING! Beautiful Building. Then, because we were literally 5 miles away from Mike, we went and hung out at his dorm. Which was fun. And he went out of his way to introduce us to his best friend (whose name escapes me). Then we came back and went to the church on campus that Meghan goes to. She really wanted me to go because she was joining today and was being prayed over. The man who spoke wasnt the usual one, and he spoke about the need to be strong, but not tough. We need to not be afraid to show weakness. Well, at the end when they were playing music the elders were standing at the front for people to come talk to. I had already started crying, and apparently the Holy Spirit was moving through me or something cause my body was going up there whether I wanted to or not. I talked to a guy and he brought a girl over to me and I bawled my eyes and was was shaking and tingling ALL OVER when she talked to me and talked to God and helped me feel better. I was upset because I am afraid to show people my true self and tell people about my life decisions. Very few people do, and when I saw Mike today it reminded me of how good it feels to have someone who knows things like...Ex. We started walking across campus and I asked how far we had to go. He said it was just over there. We walked, and walked, and walked, and walked, and walked, with me frequently asking where it was. I finally caught on and he said he knows that I generally serve my own self interest, and probably wouldnt go if I knew how far it was to start with, but he knew I'd be happy oncce we got to the destination. I LOVE when people know things like that about me and dont love me any less for it. So! Back to church. After I had bawled my eyeballs out and was the last one up at the altar area, I went back to Meghan and she hugged me and said she knew there was a reason I was supposed to be there today. She prayed with me and I also prayed with my friend Tiara who was there with her boyfriend Moto. It was.. amazing. I felt much better even if I was puffy eyed. Then I went to eat dinner with Meghan, Aimee, Ashley, and another girl who was really nice but I just forgot her name. We had a good time and laughed a lot. I also saw this guy from my anthropology class and we high fived each other. I am now back at the dorm and tired but feeling MUCH MUCH better. I am including pictures from my day below.















No comments: